Throughout the 18th century the Aros Estate which included
farmed by a succession of tacksman (tenants) until the beginning of the
19th century, when the Duke of Argyll who owned most of Mull, found it
necessary to sell many of his lands including Aros.
The lands around Tobermory were purchased in 1788 by the British Fisheries Society with a view to developing the bay as a major fishing port. This plan never really came to full fruition due to the island situation and the lack of a fishing tradition in the locality.
|Image from National Library o0f Scotland||Info from www.aros-park.org.uk|